The main element of this shoot was to have people dance with fire. We wanted a grungy warehouse look but were unable to find a proper location. We found a bunch of spots in other states, but we couldn't find anything close to us.
Hannah Davis (Photographer) actually set this whole shoot up, she found the location last minute and it worked out great. That is actually how shoots like these go. We just try to make the best of what we have. Before I showed up to the location on the day of the shoot, I knew that were were going for a Mad Max look. But I had no clue how the makeup or wardrobe were to be exactly done. I also did not know what the location looked like. I just knew that someone was going to be riding a horse.
One major note is the look that had all of the models are on that dirt pile, that was actually a pile of manure. But I do think it was mixed with dirt because it did not smell. I am not sure, all I knew is that I did not want to get on top of that. But we had to get some photos/video with the models on there. Models do have to go through a lot just to get that one photo, so props to all of them!
This look I just called the merry go round because I had no clue what it was called. When Hannah and I first arrived on location, we looked around and at different parts of the farm that we can use. We both had it in our heads to actually hook up 4 models to the merry go round but we weren't sure on what the other person thought on it. I suggested it and we were both on the same page.
I did end up doing a heavy grade on a lot of this footage, The reason was because I knew we wanted that Mad Max style and I just wanted it to be funky. I come from a photography background so I live and die grading with curves. Color grading for video is still new to me. But here is what I did for the merry go round look.
On some of the clips there were clouds in the sky so that helped bring out the sky more, but the photo that I have shown there weren't any clouds. :( All of these next photos on my grade are from the merry go round photo above.
I shoot with a Black Magic Ursa 4k and all of it was shot raw 3:1 at 60fps along with the sigma 18-35 on a glidecam. I brought down the highlights to try to get some information in the sky but then had to increase my exposure. I also changed the white balance to 7000 to help with the warmth.
For the first node, all I did was increase the saturation.
The second node is where all of my grading happens. As you can see with my curves it is pretty drastic. I am pretty sure you can do the same thing with the color wheels, it's just that I know curves and that is what I like to use. I used to have separate layers/nodes for each color in the curve so that I can see which each one is doing. But now I feel that I am comfortable with curves and I know what it is doing so I keep them all in one.
And the last node was adding some contrast to the footage.
For the Intro of the video, and the night fire scenes, I used two DIY fluorescent fixtures with led tubes in them. It kind of flickers because the ballast on them are not meant for video. But I did not mind for this video. I had some issue setting it all up because I had to run a long extension across the farm. I do have LED lights that run off of v-mount batteries but I did not bring them. I should have, but I didnt. I thought I would be fine with the Fluorescent fixtures but setting those up wasted time.
The future plans for these type of shoots is to somehow incorporate a story. The next major shoot that I am working on now is going to be Alice in Wonderland inspired. So be on the lookout for that!